Sunday, June 26, 2011

FNDS 6233 - Weeks 4 & 5 thoughts


     According to Howland, Jonassen, and Marra (2012), design games and animations are used to motivate students to understand concepts in a memorable environment.  I found this to be true when working on my Alice video.  I first had to work through the Alice tutorials so that I could become familiar with the software.  I was motivated to complete this task because I knew I would be creating my own unique creation in the program.  There were many decisions to be made once I started working on the video.  I had to come up with an idea for the video first.  I decided to create my video on the BP oil spill, and then I had to use problem solving to figure out how to incorporate all of my ideas into the Alice software.  Many times I would have to rethink or rework an idea about my video because I was not familiar enough with the software to fully incorporate the idea.  I would also research how to make an idea work within the software using tutorials on the Internet.  Throughout this process, I realized once I learned how to manipulate a character in Alice, it would remain in my memory so that I could repeat the process on another character.  I realized that this type of meaningful learning would enable me to retain the information for a long time.  Designing animations and games are great tools to enable my future students to understand concepts in a meaningful way.

Howland, J., Jonassen, D., & Marra, R. (2012). Meaningful learning with technology (4th ed.). 
     Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment