Monday, June 13, 2011

FNDS 6233 - Week 3 thoughts


The 3rd World Farmer simulation is a game where the player controls a farmer’s family and the choices they make in regards to what to plant, what livestock to raise, and what to build.  Every year the farmer’s progress is reported and shows what happened that year and how much money was earned, if any.  I chose to focus in the beginning on planting corn, a very durable crop that produced the lowest earnings.  I wanted to try and earn some money to be able to purchase technology, buildings, and livestock.  I was lucky the first few years and the corn was not affected by the famine or civil wars.  I was able to save enough money to purchase a well, a storage house, and some tools.  I then diversified my crops so that I would still bring in some money if drought hit one of the crops and killed it off.  The turning point in my game was when I saved enough money to buy crop insurance.  This guaranteed a return on my crops each year and my savings grew from there. 
One other key aspect of the game that might get overlooked is the health of the farmer and his family.  If their health is not good, they will not be as efficient at working the farm.  In the first few years, I let their health suffer.  I saw how this was hurting production.  Starting with year 4, I began to check on their health levels and buy medicine that allowed them to regain their health.  This strategy worked well as all of my family stayed alive and worked for the farm.  I feel that I had a very lucky game and was fortunate to end year 18 with over $17,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment